About our school
St. Ethelbert’s Catholic Primary School and Nursery is a Roman Catholic Voluntary aided school, part of the St Peter Catholic Academy Trust. We are situated about one and a half miles from the centre of Slough close to the Berkshire/Buckinghamshire boundary on the edge of the green belt.
St Ethelbert’s School was built through the efforts of Father Clemente, Chaplain to Baylis House School. He acquired a warehouse, stable and two sheds on the site fronting onto Victoria Street and Herschel Street, and turned these into a Chapel, Sanctuary and temporary School Hall with attached Soup Kitchen.
The first mass was celebrated on 4th November 1885. In 1886 a school was built fronting onto Victoria Street with a large donation from the Dowager Duchess of Buccleuch, a recent convert.
The school opened with 25 children. A new school room was added in 1889, and rebuilt and reopened in 1894 with 140 children. Final extensions were made in 1949. St. Ethelbert’s Juniors moved to Wexham Road in 1967 and the Infants in 1972.
Children start school in the Nursery aged 3+. Full time education is then available for children aged 4 to 11 years. The school is two-form entry with over 400 pupils on roll.
In December 2016 St Ethelbert’s Catholic Primary School and Nursery become a member of the St Peter Catholic Academy Trust, along with St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School and Nursery and St Joseph’s Catholic High School.